Today I am sharing Soft and spongy " Idly " which is very popular recipe from south indian cusine. After lots of requests, now I have done all tips and step by step procedure to make soft, fluffy idly's. I followed this recipe from last one year and now this is in my home regularly.
To get soft and spongy texture, I used cooked rice along with Idly rice. This is the best way to use leftover rice. Its very light, fluffy and soft which can be paired with coconut coriander chutney or pipping hot sambar. Try out this easy and full proof recipe.......!!
Prep time: 7-8 hours
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Serves : 3
Idly Rava - 1 cup
Cooked Rice - 1 cup
Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Water - 1/2 cup + 1tbsp
- Wash and Soak urad dal for 4 hours. Soak Idly rava with enough water for 2-3 hours.
- Drain all urad dal and idly rava very well. Keep this strained water aside to grind the idly batter.
- In a mixer jar, add soaked urad dal, idly rava and cooked rice. Add 3 tbsp water and grind it. Again add 6 tbsp water during intervals and start grinding.
- The batter will be light, fluffy and smooth.
- Transfer batter into big container. Cover and let it aside in a warm place for ferment upto 8 hours. ( I placed container inside the oven with light on)
- Next day batter will be fermented nicely. Grease the idly moulds with a oil and pour idly batter in moulds and steam for 12 minutes.
- Serve hot soft fluffy idly with Coconut coriander Chutney.
- Cooking times may be different, it depends upon the size of idly moould you using.
- I used basamati rice here, you can use sona masuri rice also.
- Do not use more water else the idlys turn out hard.
- Grind the batter nicely, proper light and fluffy batter gives soft and spongy idlys.
- Batter stays fresh for 3 days if refrigerated.
- The texture of soft, fluffy idly's is depending on the quality of white rice.