Yayyyy, I'm finally here with a Paneer recipe !! Last week I was got a request from one of my reader (Neeta) to post easy and quick recipe of "Matar Paneer". Today I'm sharing popular, buttery creamy recipe of North India. Each household in India has its own way to make this curry. Matar Paneer is a creamy, delicious combo of juicy, soft paneer and green peas in mild spicy onion tomato gravy.My family enjoyed with hot chapati and salad.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking time 15 min
Serves - 2
Homemade Paneer cubes - 12-15 small cubes
Green peas (I used frozen) - 1/2 cup
Oil + butter - 1tbsp
Bay leave/ Tejpan - 1
Turmeric/haldi - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili powder/ lal mirch powder - 1/4 to1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder - 1/4 tsp
Cream/malai/milk (optional) - 1 tbsp
Kasuri methi - 1/4 tsp
Sugar - 1/4 tsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Cashew - 1/4 cup
Onion (roughly chopped) - 2-3
Tomato (roughly chopped) - 3/4 cup
Ginger (chopped) - 1/2 tsp
Garlic (chopped) - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon/dalchini - 1/2 inch
- Heat 1 tsp of oil ina pan, add onions, ginger, garlic, cashew & cumin seeds. Fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 30 seconds. Turn off gas and keep it aside to cool down completely.
- Meanwhile microwave peas for 30 seconds. In a pan add little oil and shallow fry paneer cubes from both sides till it becomes golden. Keep aside.
- Now ground above onion tomato mixture into smooth paste. Heat oil & ghee in a kadai, add bay leaves and ground paste.
- Add dry spices turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, kashmiri chili powder and required salt. Let the mixture cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes or till it separates oil. Add water as per your gravey consistency. I used 1/2 cup water. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add green peas and roasted paneer. Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes .
- Crushed kasuri methi using palm, sugar and add it into gravy, stir & cook on low flame for a minute.Turn off the gas and add cream or milk and give it a stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with paratha, roti or naan.
- Cashew gives a sweet creamy texture to gravy, you dont need to add crream or malai or if you want you can add 1 tsp also.
- You can use tofu instead of paneer.
- If you are using fresh peas, pressure cook them for 2 whistles.